The Lesbian Historic Motif Podcast - Episode 138 with Heather Rose Jones
An episode by request about research into women’s same-sex relations in early medieval Norse culture, and f/f fiction inspired by it.
In this episode we talk about:
- What do we mean by “Viking”?
- Homosexuality in Norse culture
- Lesbian-relevant themes in Norse culture
- Stories of women warriors and gender-crossing
- Warrior women and the archaeology of gender
- Other contexts
- Research References
- The Viking Answer Lady
- Guldgubber: Sharon Ratke’s catalog site
- Clover, Carol J. 1995. "Maiden Warriors and Other Sons" in Robert R. Edwards & Vickie Ziegler (eds). Matrons and Marginal Women in Medieval Society. The Boydell Press, Woodbridge.
- Tolkien, Christopher tran. 1960. Saga Heidreks Kunungs ins Vitra. Thomas Nelson & Sons Ltd, London.
- There are many other sources of information on both Norse history and on queer themes or warrior women in early Norse culture. Check out the Viking Answer Lady’s site, or the research blog https://kyngervi.wordpress.com for more leads.
- Books mentioned
- “Peace-weaver” by Jennifer Nestoiko. The Lesbian Historic Motif Podcast 2018 fiction series
- Thyra's Promise by Natalie Debrabandere
- Taken By the Shield Maiden: A "Bawdy" Tale of Lust by Echo Stardust
- Raw: Dein Leben vor Meinem or “Your Life Before Mine” by Jolene Walker
- Vikings (tv series)
- The Seafarer’s Kiss by Julia Ember
- The Navigator’s Touch by Julia Ember
- Wolf and Raven by Dallas Jessica Owen
- The Last Shaman by Dallas Jessica Owen
- Thrall: Beyond Gold and Glory by Barbara Ann Wright
- The Amber Necklace by Alex Pyott
- Heathen by Natasha Alterici (graphic novel)
Links to the Lesbian Historic Motif Project Online
- Website: http://alpennia.com/lhmp
- Blog: http://alpennia.com/blog
- RSS: http://alpennia.com/blog/feed/
- Twitter: @LesbianMotif
- Discord: Contact Heather for an invitation to the Alpennia/LHMP Discord server
- The Lesbian Historic Motif Project Patreon
Links to Heather Online
- Website: http://alpennia.com
- Email: Heather Rose Jones
- Twitter: @heatherosejones
- Facebook: Heather Rose Jones (author page)